Friday, September 7, 2012

Testing Fun

Happy Friday!!  ITBS testing has officially begun.  Today the girls took the vocabulary and reading comprehension tests 1 and 2.  Monday they will take spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and language arts.  Tuesday is math, Wednesday is science and social studies, and Thursday we wrap up with map skills and reference materials.  Test results should be in the beginning of November.  I can't wait to see how awesome your girls all do on this test!

Because of testing, our schedule will be different all next week.  Testing will be from about 8:20-10:00 everyday.  We will have 1 hour between testing and specials, and an hour after lunch.  Because of this, I am going to just do one subject a day instead of trying to squeeze it all in each day.  Monday will be writing and language arts.  We are going to continue working on conjunctions, prepositions, and interjections.  We will learn how to incorporate those into our writing.  I will also be doing a brief introduction into narrative writing as they will have a major narrative story assigned to them the week after next.  Tuesday we will be doing math.  We are continuing our work on the order of operations and being able to write mathematical expressions based on reading word problems.  Wednesday will be reading.  We will continue reading out of our shared reading book Because of Winn Dixie and I will be pulling small cooperative groups to work on finding main idea and supporting details.  Thursday will be social studies.  We started our unit on citizenship and civic responsibilities.  We talked about The Bill of Rights this week, and Wednesday we will be looking at jury trials and even doing a skit that involves a mock trial.  Friday, we will do a review of everything we have worked on this week to wrap it all up.  We will still have a spelling sort (sort 4) and a reading log for the girls to complete, but I will not be assigning any other homework throughout testing so they can relax each night to prepare for the next day. 

Yesterday I had to take a day off due to illness.  I hate missing school, especially this early on in the year, but I was happy with how the girls behaved with the substitute over all.  I am bringing them a little treat Monday because of it, although they do not know about it yet.  I do know for sure I will be out October 5th to observe at the Ron Clark Academy for the day.  I was selected to go so that I could see all the wonderful things they do there and bring it back to our classroom.  If you are unfamiliar with Ron Clark and his wonderful school, please check out his website, www.ronclarkacademy.com.  I will also be out half a day on  October 11, and a full day October 12 as my boyfriend is having surgery.  I am expecting their best behavior these days, and since I know in advance about being out, I wanted you to know as well so you can remind the girls that class rules, procedures, and expectations do not change when I am gone.  Thanks so much!

I am attaching a video the girls made on constructive and destructive forces.  They did such a great job with it, they played it to the whole school after the Brumby News yesterday morning.  I was so proud!! I hope you enjoy!



Finally, I want to wish Estefany a Happy Birthday Sunday!!  I hope you have a wonderful day sweetie!!

No comments:

Post a Comment