Friday, March 8, 2013

Ponytails Only

Today was "Segregation Day".  I thought all week how I was going to separate the girls.  I had thought about doing girls who wear leggings vs girls who don't.  However, on my way to school, I realized it was a jean day.  Ponytails popped into my head.  The girls who came in today wearing their hair in ponytails had to sit in one corner of the room, were only allowed to write on crumpled up paper I had put there, and could only write with the few crayons I threw on the table.  I also brought in Little Debby Easter Cakes.  They did not get the cakes.  Although, after specials, I gave them one.  :)  The girls were not happy with me.  During our math review, I didn't let any of the ponytail girls come to the smartboard to work out the problems.  When we read from our novel, I didn't let any of them read out loud.  We are going to discuss how this made them feel.  I can't wait to hear what they have to say.  This is always a fun lesson for the girls, because it allows them to truly feel what life was like during this time period of our country.



This week we did a lot of CRCT review.  We only have 25 school days until the test.  Because of that, a lot of our focus is going to go to test prep.  Starting Monday, we will do 3 rotations a week where the girls will get to do content and test prep with all the different fifth grade teachers.  I think the exposure to different teaching styles will really help the girls get prepared.  The rotations will be Tuesday-Thursday from 1:10-1:55.

The fifth grade took their formal writing exam Wednesday.  I was very happy with how hard they worked.  Scores should be in the first week in May.

Next Friday, we are having an in house field trip.  There will be performers coming in and reenacting the Diary of Anne Frank.  I am very excited for this.  It is a free program.  I am really looking forward to the girls experiencing it.

Genia celebrated her birthday Tuesday.  Kaylah celebrates her tomorrow.  Happy birthday sweet girls!!

Have a great weekend!!


No comments:

Post a Comment