Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving

Hello all!  I'm going to combine last week and this week into one blog.  We have a lot to cover!!  First and foremost, I want to thank everyone for making my birthday so special.  Just being able to teach your girls is gift enough, but I really appreciate all the lovely gifts and cards.  Turning 29 never felt so nice!

Remember, there is NO SCHOOL all next week in observance of Thanksgiving.  I hope each of you has a very happy Thanksgiving.  If you are traveling, please be safe.  I will be in Chicago from Tuesday to Saturday, but you know you can always reach me via text or email if something should arise during the week.  I am sending home a packet of things for the girls to work on.  There is a writing piece on how to set a Thanksgiving day table, a Mayflower math problem sheet, and some work out of their grammar book.  It is not mandatory as I know that this is a busy week, but if you daughter does the work, I will replace their lowest quiz grade with 100s in social studies and math.  They will also receive extra credit in language arts. 

When we get back from break, we will have 4 weeks left until winter break.  We will be having a party the week before.  I know that is a while off, but I wanted to get this out there so you can start thinking about it.  One, I will need refreshments brought in.  I told the girls if they wanted to make the food from their recipes for the class recipe book, they could.  We will also need paper goods, drinks, and other snacks.  Please send me an email letting me know what you can bring.  We have 22 girls in our room.  Second, we will be doing a white elephant exchange.  I am asking each girl to bring in a pair of NEW socks.  They can be holiday socks, or fun crazy socks.  With the socks, she also needs to bring her favorite snack or drink.  It can be a king sized candy bar, a big bag of chips, or a soda.  Please wrap them together, but do not label anything on them at all.  We will put all the gifts in the middle of a circle.  We will draw numbers and open presents in order.  In white elephant, if you want to use your turn to "steal" a gift you can.  The person who gets stolen from get to open another or steal from someone else.  We do this until everyone has a gift.  It is a lot of fun!

This week we worked on adding and subtracting fractions with unlike denominators.  After the break we will start our volume unit.  In science, we are wrapping up our unit on matter and physical/chemical changes.  After the break we will begin our unit on The Jazz Age, The Great Depression, and World War I for social studies.  We have been having a lot of fun in writing with informational writing and our recipes.  We will continue work on that after the break.  I am hoping to have Where the Red Ferns Grows finished by the week after Thanksgiving as well.

Talent show auditions are coming up.  A permission slip will be sent home Friday.  Have your daughter think about her act over the break.  The slips are due to me or Mrs. Wood by Friday, November 30.  Please make sure it is school appropriate and your daughter must provide music for her act or she will not be able to audition. 

There are no birthdays this week, but our Chadea will celebrate a birthday over the break!  Happy birthday sweet girl!  I am so proud I have been able to be your teacher for a second time!!
Happy Thanksgiving!  I am so thankful for each and every one of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment